discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] Conflict alert - dotFree

Re: [opennic-discuss] Conflict alert - dotFree

  • From: Julian DeMarchi <julian AT jdcomputers.com.au>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org, Joe Sniderman <joe262 AT joe262.com>
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] Conflict alert - dotFree
  • Date: Tue, 02 Nov 2010 14:53:26 +1000

On 10/31/2010 07:35 AM, Brian Koontz wrote:
> Sure there is...and a decade's worth of precedence as well. OpenNIC's
> policy has been to not peer "colliders," and .free would certainly
> fall into this category were ICANN to go forward with the TLD.

We will continue to run .free regardless of what this company does. It
is them whom are breaking the RFC by creating a competing zone, not us.

They have to learn the RFC goes both ways.....

> But you and I both know that OpenNIC would be tagged as "TLD pirates,"
> regardless of prior art. We would open ourselves individually to
> civil liability should we choose to serve up what is "obviously" not
> ours to serve.

Obviously... Records prove it is our right to run it. By them moving
forward and creating this TLD is breaking the RFC. It's not us breaking
it, but them. Freenic was started before 2007, and joined OpenNIC in
april 2007. This is all publicly available.

> This is why we need to decide, as a group, if organizing OpenNIC into
> a corporate/non-profit structure is timely. As such, all OpenNIC
> servers could be given the opportunity to operate under the OpenNIC
> "umbrella," reducing personal liability concerns.

We do, and are. Your doing great work in this arena brian, and I thank
you. You are invaluable to this.

If .free does get taken from this mob, we should really consider our
position and what we do. If anyone can come steam roll us like this,
what is the point?

It is time US as a COMMUNITY band together and fight any TLD conflicts
that come up. .free is a perfect example of this.

If you care for OpenNIC join with us and fight the masses. We need to
write articles and blogs about this. If you wanna help, write something
about whats going on. I have the owner of https://joe262.com/ on our
side and willing to help out.

Lets band together and make some noise.

--julian

  • Re: [opennic-discuss] Conflict alert - dotFree, Julian DeMarchi, 11/02/2010