discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] Setup for non-techies

Re: [opennic-discuss] Setup for non-techies

  • From: Dean Gardiner <gardiner91 AT gmail.com>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] Setup for non-techies
  • Date: Sun, 5 Dec 2010 17:09:23 +1300

What's the worst that could happen? If all the scripts are doing is changing the DNS Servers?

I'm not sure about other scripts though but mine is going to move the current primary server to secondary, then pick a OpenNIC Server for Primary. So if an OpenNIC Server goes down it will just revert to your old dns server.

On Sun, Dec 5, 2010 at 3:13 PM, Brian Koontz <brian AT pongonova.net> wrote:
On Sat, Dec 04, 2010 at 02:34:37PM -0800, Terry wrote:
> The guide that I found on the opennicproject.org site was ok for me, but I
> don't think the guides are good enough if we want high adoption rates. What
> we need is a mini program or batch file, etc, to make the changes for them,
> and maybe even be able to revert the changes back if they experience
> problems.

This has been discussed before.  The danger here is that any script
that FUBARs a user's system (or anything bad that happens to a user's
system after running said script, regardless of whether or not the
script is at fault) will reflect negatively on OpenNIC, and might
cause more damage than good.

Personally, I'm all for individuals who want to provide user scripts
to get the job done.  But is it in OpenNIC's best interest to actually
host these?

 --Brian