discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] Neo's OpenNIC Installer

Re: [opennic-discuss] Neo's OpenNIC Installer

  • From: Amrit Panesar <apanesar AT 4195tech.com>
  • To: "discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org" <discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org>
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] Neo's OpenNIC Installer
  • Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2012 09:21:36 -0800

On Feb 28, 2012, at 8:54, Maximi89 <maximi89 AT gmail.com> wrote:

2012/2/28 Amrit Panesar <apanesar AT 4195tech.com>

On Feb 28, 2012, at 8:08, Maximi89 <maximi89 AT gmail.com> wrote:

2012/2/28 Amrit Panesar <apanesar AT 4195tech.com>
Eric, one of the issues of blindly setting every T2 as a nameserver is that if the T2s change without the end user knowing, the windows net services will slow to a crawl as it tries to figure out which nameserver to use at what time.

You could use something like Curl o Wget to retrieve the actual list  of T2 servers... something like that could be very usefully for all of us..
because if other guy want to create it own utility to work with GNU/Linux they can use the same list...

the amazing part about c# is that using my existing code, I can easily make a port that is usable with mono. Currently It grabs a list from opennic.us (the actual url is in Program.cs for those wondering)

essentially all that would need to be changed is to dump the output of ifconfig -a for the current config and set the dns in /etc/resolv.conf not too hard of changes for me, and can be done today if people want to try it out.

let me know

there is a problem with your logic, what happens when the people who suspend their computers wake up them and the connection are reestablished... the NetworkManager will rewrite the resolv.conf data...

point taken, i think its a good idea to look into making a package that feeds resolvers into NetworkManager with a script that runs on boot and on suspend /hibernate resume. this script would grab a current list of t2's, test them all then chose the top two and feed it to NetworkManager. Simple enough, I could do it myself. Just need some research reguarding how NetworkManager is implemented

another issue is that when it does eventually figure out which nameserver to use (say it picks a T2 in Germany) your internet experience will also slow to a crawl.

as per norton or others flagging it as vrii, I will take a look into it, i think i might have to dive into application signing, but we shall see. I will contact Norton in regards to this.

Thanks

--Neo

Sent from my iPhone

--