discuss - [opennic-discuss] Name Server configuration

[opennic-discuss] Name Server configuration

  • From: Peter Green <peter AT greenpete.co.uk>
  • To: Discuss <discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org>
  • Subject: [opennic-discuss] Name Server configuration
  • Date: Wed, 29 Feb 2012 19:07:13 +0000

Hi,

I wonder if I could ask for a little help please?

I am about to move my hosting to another server by changing the IP.s 'glued' to a domain of mine to a new server, (running Ubuntu server with Virtualmin) as well as transferring the accounts too of course.

ns1.nano-host.co.uk and ns2.nano-host.co.uk do point to 193.219.118.179 and will point to 83.142.229.97 later tonight (as well as another I.P).

I am unsure if BIND will work as the name server for the hosted domains once I have done this and wondered if you guys could see what you think?
I am concerned once I make the change at the domain registrars all my sites my go down due to a badly configured D.N.S. server!

I have also changed the root.db as per the instructions to resolve OpenNIC domains as well as changing the I.P.s in resolv.conf to use OpenNIC resolvers.

named.conf is as follows...

named.conf...

// This is the primary configuration file for the BIND DNS server named.
//
// Please read /usr/share/doc/bind9/README.Debian.gz for information on the
// structure of BIND configuration files in Debian, *BEFORE* you customize
// this configuration file.
//
// If you are just adding zones, please do that in /etc/bind/named.conf.local

include "/etc/bind/named.conf.options";
include "/etc/bind/named.conf.local";
include "/etc/bind/named.conf.default-zones";

// The above files are included below for simplicity. On the live server, they are separate.

// named.conf.options

options {
	directory "/var/cache/bind";

	// If there is a firewall between you and nameservers you want
	// to talk to, you may need to fix the firewall to allow multiple
	// ports to talk.  See http://www.kb.cert.org/vuls/id/800113

	// If your ISP provided one or more IP addresses for stable
	// nameservers, you probably want to use them as forwarders.
	// Uncomment the following block, and insert the addresses replacing
	// the all-0's placeholder.

	// forwarders {
	// 	0.0.0.0;
	// };

	auth-nxdomain no;    # conform to RFC1035
	listen-on-v6 { any; };
        listen-on { any; };
        allow-recursion { any; };
};

logging {
   channel "misc" {
	     file "/var/log/misc.log" versions 2 size 25M;
	     severity info; print-severity no;
	     print-category yes; print-time yes;
	     };
  channel "querylog" {
	     file "/var/log/named.log" versions 2 size 25M;
	     severity info; print-severity no;
	     print-category no; print-time yes;
	     };
  category "queries" { "querylog"; };
  category default { "misc"; };
};

// named.conf.local

//
// Do any local configuration here
//

// Consider adding the 1918 zones here, if they are not used in your
// organization
//include "/etc/bind/zones.rfc1918";

	};
zone "nano-host.co.uk" {
	type master;
	file "/var/lib/bind/nano-host.co.uk.hosts";
	allow-transfer {
		127.0.0.1;
		localnets;
		83.142.229.97;
		};
	};

// named.conf.default-zones

// prime the server with knowledge of the root servers
zone "." {
	type hint;
	file "/etc/bind/db.root";
};

// be authoritative for the localhost forward and reverse zones, and for
// broadcast zones as per RFC 1912

zone "localhost" {
	type master;
	file "/etc/bind/db.local";