discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] Nameserver validation - question

Re: [opennic-discuss] Nameserver validation - question

  • From: Brian Koontz <brian AT opennicproject.org>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] Nameserver validation - question
  • Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2012 18:38:23 -0500

On Wed, Jun 06, 2012 at 08:33:43PM -0500, Jamyn Shanley wrote:
> I've noticed the test page will fail an IP unless the root zone points
> to OpenNIC.
>
> Here's one example (a play VM):
> http://www.opennicproject.org/t2log/t2.php?ip_addr=108.174.61.249&mode=0
>
> This machine is serving up all of of ICANN, OpenNIC, Cesidian, Dot-42,
> and soon - .bit as well (I'm currently writing a quick zone parser in
> perl for tinydns because the php one expects Bind and is a bit messy).
> Perhaps it would be possible to modify the tests so if all other
> checks pass (except root zone), the server passes? IE - if all
> should pass?

One reason is that in the event of a collider between ICANN and
OpenNIC, pointing the root zone at ICANN will autonomously bypass our
TLD.

We simply ask that servers who want to be listed as an OpenNIC T2
server point to ns0. Other servers are certainly welcome to serve up
part or all of the OpenNIC namespace, and there are several servers I
know of that do just that.

--Brian

--
OpenNIC (the sequel) co-founder and wikimaster
IRC: Freenode.net channel #opennic