discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
Subject: Discuss mailing list
- From: Alex Hanselka <alex AT opennicproject.org>
- To: <discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org>
- Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] Annoying DoS
- Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2012 16:10:28 -0500
- Organization: OpenNIC
I highly suggest running ddos.pl if you do not already. It almost always catches these and reduces their damage to minimal. Also, iptables will only block the reply which is usually the largest part anyway. The request bandwidth will always be used unless it is blocked somewhere upstream.
On 2012-10-17 16:01, Martin C wrote:
day and noticed one IP doing a lot of lookups for the same domain over
and over again (isc.org).
I thought nothing of it until
Hehe, I should clarify that I did think something of it, but fortunately
I have never experienced a DoS directly myself, so in the back of my
mind I thought the logs hinted at it, and I thought to myself that I
would wait a bit to see if it continued.
It did, so I got my old friend iptables to take care of it. A fourth IP
decided to make trouble soon after, 18.104.22.168 which I believe is
from a local range, so I couldn't understand how it could be doing the
same things the other IPs were, but there it was.
- [opennic-discuss] Annoying DoS, Martin C, 10/17/2012
- Re: [opennic-discuss] Annoying DoS, Martin C, 10/17/2012
- Re: [opennic-discuss] Annoying DoS, Dean Gardiner, 10/17/2012
- Re: [opennic-discuss] Annoying DoS, Brian Koontz, 10/17/2012
- Re: [opennic-discuss] Annoying DoS, The Doctor, 10/18/2012
Archive powered by MHonArc 2.6.19.