discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] The dotPirate Problem

Re: [opennic-discuss] The dotPirate Problem

  • From: Nova King <novaking AT eztv.se>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] The dotPirate Problem
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2013 17:02:55 +0700

Talk to me on IRC in about a weeks time, I should be set up in my new place by then.

-- NovaKing

Travis McCrea <me AT travismccrea.com> wrote:

I was going to write this email a week or so ago, but honestly I have
been kinda embarrassed to actually say it:

The server that the dotPirate project was on was shut down due to a
series of high CPU loads and various problems as well as a host who
didn't handle a situation properly. Due to a communication problem
(which, as the manager of the project, I take full responsibility for),
dotPirate did not have a MySQL backup.

This means that /all/ dotPirate records were lost. I am ashamed that I
made a big mistake like this. I also have asked the developer who
maintains the dotPirate project to work on another project, because our
main website (TUEBL) which brings in the funding I use to keep the
dotPirate project servers (and all the other donated VMs)... which is
further keeping us from getting dotPirate up and going.

There is an upside:
The gallium install that we were using had a spam problem. Thousands and
thousands of domains were being registered falsely. I don't think you
guys had the same problem because your galium installs were not made
available on the ICANN web.

So the reason we are not just throwing up a new version of gallium is we
are going to do it right, get a system that has some spam filtering and
such.

This time we will also be keeping multiple redundant backups as we do
with all of our other sites.

I am ready to revive and redo dotPirate to be better than ever. I hope
to work with some other people in the community to relaunch with some
other sites making dotPirate an option (I am looking at you NovaKing ;) ).

Also I would love a hand from someone who wants to be involved in the
project, as our main developer for the dotPirate project is both busy
and not an expert in DNS (but rather PHP/MySQL) so having a DNS guy
would probably be useful.

Thank you and I am sorry.
- --
Respectfully,
Travis McCrea
International Coordinator, Pirate Party of Canada
Chief Administrative Officer, Pirate Parties International

http://travismccrea.com
http://twitter.com/teamcoltra
http://fb.me/teamcoltra

1(206)552-8728 United States