discuss - [opennic-discuss] Members page back online!

[opennic-discuss] Members page back online!

  • From: Jeff Taylor <shdwdrgn AT sourpuss.net>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: [opennic-discuss] Members page back online!
  • Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2014 15:38:02 -0700

Some of you may remember when we used to have a registration page for member logins. That page has been lost, but a new page is now available!

http://www.opennicproject.org/members/
(From the OpenNIC page, select Resources -> Members)

There are currently 1,425 username registered from the previous membership page, so many of you probably already have an existing account. Currently there is not much that can done once you login except enter some information about yourself. However there is one feature that hints at a project in the works... Due to the large number of public servers which have had to shut down from DDoS attacks, we are currently building the structure to support IP address registration. With this in place, a T2 server admin may choose to only allow registered IPs to use their server, thus limiting the damage that can be done by attackers. I know there is going to be a lot of questions around this, so let me start off with some information...

- IP registration is OPTIONAL! It will only be required if you want to use a T2 server that has chosen to do whitelisting.
- Privacy is important! We don't want to share your information, so there are several limits to what information is available... T2 operators will only be able to obtain a list of the IP's, NOT the name of who registered the address.
- The authentication code used for registering your addresses is not associated with you password -- it is a separate unique code generated only for this purpose.
- IPv4 and IPv6 addresses are accepted by the registration page.
- IP registration may be done from a web browser or from a 'wget' command -- this makes it easy to script so you can automatically update your info on a daily basis on not have to worry about it. (wget is available on linux, mac, and windows, so you can use cron jobs or a windows scheduled task to automate the process.)
- Old addresses will be pruned if they are not refreshed. We are currently debating the exact period, but will probably start at 28 days.
- There will be limits placed on how many IP addresses can be registered by an individual user, however if you have a legitimate need we can raise the limits.
- You can view and delete your registered addresses from the members page.

- Again: Privacy is important and registration is optional!!! The subject of whitelisting has been debated many times on the mailing lists and on IRC. I've tried to address everyone's concerns and ideas to make this concept work well for all situations, and will keep you updated as changes are made and we get some servers working with this method. Please do not start another rage-thread about what you perceive are the downfalls of this -- Let us get it working before complaining about something that doesn't exist...

The goal here is to eventually tie user logins together for the various OpenNIC services, so as more features are incorporated, we will update the community. Examples would be the wiki page, a support forum, bug tracker, domain registration pages, etc... There's a lot we can do with this once we get it going.

One part of the user configuration includes administrative accounts. With an eye on security, I have set up admin accounts completely separate from user accounts. As you can see from the member login page, there are categories for T1/T2 operators, user admins, and registrars. Each account has limited accessibility, so a breach of a single account will minimize the amount of information that could be collected.

There are currently 26 tier-2 operator accounts registered -- The information for these accounts was collected from the wiki listing of active T2 admins. If you are one of these, you should be able to log in by using your wiki username and password, and selecting "T2 operator", however you will be disappointed once you log in... There is little you can do right now except change your information -- but we're working on that! Eventually there will be some operations that can be performed from the members page.

So in conclusion, the basic framework is taking shape. We are implementing different ideas to help bring together the OpenNIC services and try to make the overall structure more reliable for everyone.

Thank you for your time. Vote for me as your next mad scientist!