discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] SSL Certificate and CACert

Re: [opennic-discuss] SSL Certificate and CACert

  • From: Calum McAlinden <calum AT mcalinden.me.uk>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] SSL Certificate and CACert
  • Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2014 20:31:17 +0000

Hi,

OpenNIC and CAcert supporting each other would definitely be a good
idea. CAcert is already included by default in a handful of major
Linux distributions, so it would seem like a more sensible option
compared to OpenNIC having its own CA. Have CAcert said whether they
would be willing to issue certificates for non ICANN domains? I know
at the moment they are being audited in order to get included in a
number of Mozilla's applications (and others), and I imagine that
audit wouldn't look favourably on OpenNIC.

That said, I'm looking forward to seeing some viable options for
OpenNIC SSL certificates in the near future.