discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] example.TLD

Re: [opennic-discuss] example.TLD

  • From: Mario Rodriguez <admin AT bambusoft.com>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] example.TLD
  • Date: Mon, 04 Aug 2014 10:29:57 -0500

You are right:
Here is well documented: http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6761

test -> info page or NXDOMIAN (optional)
example -> info page
invalid -> NXDOMAIN
localhost -> 127.0.0.1

On 03/08/2014 06:14 p.m., Christopher wrote:
I would think that 'invalid' returns nxdomain, not a loop-back IP address.

On Fri, Aug 1, 2014 at 3:26 PM, Mario Rodriguez <admin AT bambusoft.com> wrote:
Hi all:

Accordingly to RFC2606 -> http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2606 this words are
reserved for specific use:

test -> "is recommended for use in testing of current or new DNS related
code"
example -> "is recommended for use in documentation or as examples"
invalid -> "is intended for use in online construction of domain names that
are sure to be invalid and which it is obvious at a glance are invalid."
localhost -> "point to the loop back IP address and is reserved for such
use"

"Depending on the nature of the test or example, it might be best for it to
be referencing a TLD permanently reserved for such purposes."

As a second level domains (all under T1 operator control)
test.TLD, example.TLD and invalid.TLD... may respond with a page explaining
this (as Philipp sugests) or point to 127.0.0.1 (as Jeff sugests)
localhost.TLD must respond with 127.0.0.1 ip address

As a third+ level domains (under user control)
test.xdomain.TLD, example.xdomain.TLD and invalid.xdomain.TLD... whatever
user wants
localhost.xdomain.TLD must respond with 127.0.0.1 ip address

This RFC is a best practice and not a standard, so both options are correct
and I agree with a policy definition.
IMHO we can follow RFC recommendation and cover all options this way:
test -> info page
example -> info page
invalid -> 127.0.0.1
localhost -> 127.0.0.1