discuss - [opennic-discuss] GeoIP list of nearest OpenNIC servers

[opennic-discuss] GeoIP list of nearest OpenNIC servers

  • From: Jeff Taylor <shdwdrgn AT sourpuss.net>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: [opennic-discuss] GeoIP list of nearest OpenNIC servers
  • Date: Thu, 07 May 2015 14:33:09 -0600
  • Dmarc-filter: OpenDMARC Filter v1.3.0 mx3.sourpuss.net C19BB2D366

I get a lot of questions on IRC about finding nearby servers, or I see folks trying to write scripts to automate the process of keeping up with the current list of available servers. Most of this work has already been done, and has been available for several years, but the information just doesn't get spread around.

I've recompiled some of the best information into a single API page that you can view directly from a browser or query via wget/curl. You can see the list of options from here:

https://api.opennicproject.org/geoip/?help

This page gives you the ability to grab a list of nearest servers, displayed in multiple ways, and sorted to only list servers that have a current reliability above a certain threshold. You can even get a ready-to-use resolv.conf file.

Note that this page only works with IPv4 addresses, and it does NOT include servers that use whitelisting. Hopefully this will provide a solution for those who have been looking for this information.