discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] Nearest server and geolocation

Re: [opennic-discuss] Nearest server and geolocation

  • From: Jeff Taylor <shdwdrgn AT sourpuss.net>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] Nearest server and geolocation
  • Date: Sun, 01 Nov 2015 09:25:06 -0700
  • Dmarc-filter: OpenDMARC Filter v1.3.0 mx3.sourpuss.net E3B452D423

FWIW, this particular code makes use of geoip, and yes it has been known to be incorrect by entire countries.  However lookups are fast because they make use of a local database rather than requiring a query of another site.  Unfortunately, even if I did a query of all four services you showed and used the most popular answer, it is obvious that the results would still be incorrect.

I'm currently working on an update of the code to make use of the data fields on the new server page.  I think the only solution to getting more accurate results is to add the ability to enter your actual location, so I will work on that option when I get a chance.