discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] !ATTENTION! FurNIC Sponsored T1 178.63.145.230 aka ns4.opennic.glue ceasing OpenNIC operation immediately(no .bit / no recusion)

Re: [opennic-discuss] !ATTENTION! FurNIC Sponsored T1 178.63.145.230 aka ns4.opennic.glue ceasing OpenNIC operation immediately(no .bit / no recusion)

  • From: Daniel Shirley <aditaa05 AT gmail.com>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] !ATTENTION! FurNIC Sponsored T1 178.63.145.230 aka ns4.opennic.glue ceasing OpenNIC operation immediately(no .bit / no recusion)
  • Date: Thu, 18 May 2017 09:16:00 -0500

i Would like to help in anyway i can.

I can sponsor the T1 server for FurNIC if it would help.

if you need anything please let me know

On Thu, May 18, 2017 at 7:21 AM, Stephan Jauernick <info AT stephan-jauernick.de> wrote:
Dear OpenNIC Community,

Sadly we got served several Abuse Reports forwarded from Spamhaus via
our Provider declaring that we resolve a malicious .bit domain. As we
can't and won't censor this domain we send a reply to Spamhaus and our
hoster. They did not acknowledge our stance in regards of OpenNIC being
a open democratic and censorship free DNS Infrastructure. Instead our
provider replied and gave us what amounts to a 24 Hour deadline before
they consider nullrouting the IP Address and the connected servers.

As we are currently very busy and struggling with other Problems(like
chairmans having no internet because of an outtage) we decided to block
any recursion and remove the .bit zone from the system. This is a
temporary measure until we can properly deal with the problem and
consider legal and other options.

Removing the bit zone leads to a incomplete T1 Setup which is not
propperly able to resolve the full opennic spectrum.

Starting in a few minutes NS4 will no longer resolve queries from users
and will no longer represent a full configured T1. We will only serve
internal hosts. As ns4 was configured as a T2 and allowed recursion this
will be a change affecting users. We are deeply sorry about this but to
date this is our only viable option.

This will be for now a temporary change which we hope to resolve ASAP.

Thank you. We are deeply sorry for any effect this has on OpenNIC,
FurNIC and its users.

Kind Regards,
Stephan Jauernick
Technical Director