discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] GDPR Compliance

Re: [opennic-discuss] GDPR Compliance

  • From: david-herve AT club.fr
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] GDPR Compliance
  • Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2018 14:13:50 +0200 (CEST)

S‌TOP MAIL
De : "Rex Lampier"
A : discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
Envoyé: mercredi 30 mai 2018 13:48
Objet : Re: [opennic-discuss] GDPR Compliance

Hi -

There are a set of 6 bases for processing lawfully under GDPR -
including legitimate interest and processing for the delivery of a
service which I think DNS is relevant to. Consent is another lawful
basis.

This is only in the instances where PII is involved of course; or
perhaps data which is only one degree of separation from PII in some
cases.

An IP address cannot directly identify an individual - it has to be
combined with other data first (consider the effect of VPN's, proxies,
shared accommodation, IP spoofing etc). We can get the IP range - and
who owns the range - easily enough, but a warrant would be needed for
the ISP to disclose the subscriber at the time. A separate warrant
would be needed to get the DNS server logs in the first place of
course.

Then it has to be proven that an individual was using that specific IP
address at the time. That's a long way to stretch to call an IP PII on
it's own.

The opt-in for logging servers Jonah talks about is interesting, just
make sure it's clear that the person is opt-ing in (and what the
consequences might be).

By removing all potential linkage from the logs DNS servers themselves
cannot reveal the origin of requests, and the initial warrant to
disclose this data would be useless.

HTH

Rex