discuss - [opennic-discuss] Anyone else getting these spams?

  • From: Jeff Taylor <shdwdrgn AT sourpuss.net>
  • To: Discuss <discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org>
  • Subject: [opennic-discuss] Anyone else getting these spams?
  • Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2024 16:19:37 -0700

I keep getting emails every month or two which are always the same crappy attempt at "I have broken into your computer and recorded you viewing porn videos" blahblahblah.  I'm just not certain if they're coming to me because I'm a list moderator or if the messages are actually going out through the mailing list to everyone?

Unfortunately I don't know of a good way to block these, and we have the list open to allow new OpenNic members to join in easily, but I thought I should check to see who's actually receiving them and just reiterate the fact that no, nobody has broken into anyone's computer and absolutely nothing is going to happen if you ignore the messages.  These guys are a joke looking for low-hanging fruit and the whole "I saw you watching porn" thing is about as ridiculous as it can get.