discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] Voter registration?

Re: [opennic-discuss] Voter registration?

  • From: Brian Koontz <brian AT pongonova.net>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] Voter registration?
  • Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2010 06:39:02 -0600

On Tue, Nov 30, 2010 at 07:18:02PM -0600, Peter McCann wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 30, 2010 at 4:57 PM, Julian DeMarchi
> <julian AT jdcomputers.com.au> wrote:
> >
> > Registered votes occur on the http://www.opennicproject.org website.
> > People can only vote once through their account. This ensues one vote
> > per registered member.
>
> And what keeps me from registering multiple times?

Nothing.

> Is this expected to scale in case OpenNIC hits the bigtime?

Probably not. The proverbial chicken-and-egg problem: The voting
system works fine as is, but it would take resources to actually
implement a strictly controlled voting mechanism, and would require
some sort of official membership status. Said resources wouldn't be
made available (or feasible) except with a larger membership base.
Rinse and repeat.

> Are you familiar with the ICANN experiment of At-Large representation,
> and the reasons for its failure?

The reason for its failure is that the ICANN board resented the idea
of an "outsider" (Karl Auerbach comes to mind here) who would actually
report the inner workings of ICANN to the world. Or at least that's
how I remember it.

--Brian

  • Re: [opennic-discuss] Voter registration?, Brian Koontz, 12/01/2010