discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] PLEASE READ - Notice of .oss and .parody domain removals

Re: [opennic-discuss] PLEASE READ - Notice of .oss and .parody domain removals

  • From: Jeff Taylor <shdwdrgn AT sourpuss.net>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] PLEASE READ - Notice of .oss and .parody domain removals
  • Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2010 12:36:41 -0700

Well both my registry and galium have expiration dates built in. but neither has an actual reminder system to notifying users of expirations. Once I get converted over to galium, if it hasn't been handled yet then I'll work on that code.

I'm also thinking that new domains should only be registered for 28 days, with a reminder to renew after 2 weeks. If the owner doesn't manually renew their new domain, or if there has been no valid information etered to point the domain at something within the first month, it should be assumed that the registrant has abandoned the domain and should be removed. After spending my entire morning going through the list of domains on my system, I definitely think there is a need for automated removal of anything that is not being used.