discuss - [opennic-discuss] Projekt: community-organized communications infrastructure

[opennic-discuss] Projekt: community-organized communications infrastructure

  • From: Lukas Hlavac <hlavaclukas AT gmail.com>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: [opennic-discuss] Projekt: community-organized communications infrastructure
  • Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2011 19:57:04 +0100

Ahoj,
můj velmi dobrý kamarád rozjíľdí globální projekt komunitní komunikační infrastruktury. Pokud by měl někdo z ČR zájem se zúčastnit, tak to bude super. Drľim palce! Tady je zpráva a kontakt:

I am working with some colleagues on an interesting project that is
inspired as a response to the Egyptian government closing the Internet
for the whole country.  We are bringing together communications
technology development and social / community organizing, and I want to
know if you can help, or if you know someone who can help.

The project will develop community-organized communications infrastructure.  This includes mesh wireless networks (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireless_mesh_network, also see http://fci.wikia.com/wiki/WirelessMesh), low-power FM radio (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low-power_broadcasting) and do-it-yourself GSM radio for mobile phones (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/08/18/gsm_hacking/).
 The goal is to build a community-owned and organized infrastructure in
several countries.  This communications infrastructure will be free of
government and corporate control.  That way when a crisis emerges, like
when Mubarak closed off all the Internet traffic to Egypt, people can
still communicate with each other and the rest of the world.

If you know anyone who is:
  • A technologist skilled in developing any of these technologies, or
  • A technologist skilled in developing Linux software, or
  • A tech-savvy person who can translate instructions about these tools into
    their native language so that anyone can understand it, or
  • Information activists / interested community members who are great at organizing
    their community to establish and implement projects,

Then I would like to know about them.  If you want to know more, or think
you can lead me to some people who can help this project fast, please
email me soon.

Preston

--
Preston Rhea
Research Associate, Open Technology Initiative