discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] Small Windows DNS Caveat

Re: [opennic-discuss] Small Windows DNS Caveat

  • From: subhuman <discipline AT gmx.net>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] Small Windows DNS Caveat
  • Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2011 16:31:42 +0200

In addition to your posting I might add that some ISPs (mine for
example) insist on the "usepeerdns" option in the ppp configuration
script. If it is omitted no DNS queries will be routed, and hence no
DNS based internet connection can be established. The only way to
circumvent that lies in updating both resolv.confs after the ISP's
primary needs have been satisfied.

For the 'nix instance:
- edit resolv.conf.opennic, let's say in /root
- edit an additional script containing the following verses:

#!/bin/bash
cd /root
cat resolv.conf.opennic | resolvconf -a ppp0
cp resolv.conf.opennic /etc/ppp/resolv.conf

- run the script.

An ugly hack, admitted, especially with regard of the hardcoded ppp
device, but works for me. ;)

Greatings
Martin