discuss - [opennic-discuss] Example domains and localhost entrys

[opennic-discuss] Example domains and localhost entrys

  • From: Philipp Schafft <lion AT lion.leolix.org>
  • To: OpenNIC Discuss <discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org>
  • Subject: [opennic-discuss] Example domains and localhost entrys
  • Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2011 23:07:11 +0200

flum,

My dnschecker script (if you want DNS status mails just ask!) informed
me that several OpenNIC domains/TLDs do not have example domains and
localhost entrys. This is not a error but something I would like to have
discussed:

Example domains:
RFC 2606 stats in "3. Reserved Example Second Level Domain Names" the
following:

> 3. Reserved Example Second Level Domain Names
>
> The Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA) also currently has the
> following second level domain names reserved which can be used as
> examples.
>
> example.com
> example.net
> example.org

I used to have those for .fur and .vpn (not OpenNIC relevant) (See
http://www.example.fur/).

I consider it to be kind and handy to have them reserved.
What do you think?

Another thing is defining a localhost entry at domain/TLD level:
I have seen problems more than once when a localhost entry for a domain
was not defined.
The entry should be 'localhost IN A 127.0.0.1'.
Why?:
Some (bad) clients try to resolve 'localhost' via DNS only (not NIS) and
will not find the local host system's host database (/etc/hosts)'s
entry. They continue to search for it using DNS search domain list and
stuff. They may hit some entry and this one may be a bad one (_very_
dangerous with wildcard entrys. This is one of the things why wildcard
DNS records should be avoided.).
Example:
You have a server bla.foo.tld. search list is foo.tld. You have a
wildcard entry pointing to the server (so you do not need to add www.,
ftp., blubb.). Now you bind a services to 'localhost'. This will result
in binding to 'localhost.foo.tld' AKA bla.foo.tld (wildcard entry)
pointing to your external IP and make a internal services public. As the
client is likly to do the same it will 'work' and you may not notice the
problem early.

So I recommend to add the localhost entry.

What do you think?

--
Philipp.
(Rah of PH2)