discuss - [opennic-discuss] Alternative DNS port available on public server

[opennic-discuss] Alternative DNS port available on public server

  • From: Jeff Taylor <shdwdrgn AT sourpuss.net>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: [opennic-discuss] Alternative DNS port available on public server
  • Date: Sun, 08 May 2011 22:16:40 -0600

I just wanted to let everyone know that I have opened up port 5353 on my public DNS server. You can reach me at 216.87.84.211, or 2001:470:8388:10:0:100:53:20.

There has been periodic discussion that some ISPs block users from making use of OpenNic because they block or redirect any traffic on port53. I wanted to make this option available for anyone who wishes to experiment with it, to see if this gives you the ability to bypass any such blockades.

Please let us know of any successes or failures with this option, and we will make the information available on the wiki to help others.