discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] About DNS statistic Tools

Re: [opennic-discuss] About DNS statistic Tools

  • From: Stefan Sabolowitsch <Stefan.Sabolowitsch AT felten-group.com>
  • To: "discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org" <discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org>
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] About DNS statistic Tools
  • Date: Wed, 11 May 2011 15:58:33 +0000
  • Accept-language: de-DE, en-US

Hi Psilo,
yes this work completely without logs.
On DNS SV run a collector application.
The collector process uses libpcap to receive DNS messages sent and received on a network interface. It may run on the same machine as the DNS server, or on another system connected to a switch configured with port mirroring. A configuration file defines some number of datasets and other options. Datasets are dumped to disk every 60 seconds as XML files. A cron job copies the XML files to a separate server for archiving and further processing.

Please read here for more details:
http://dns.measurement-factory.com/tools/dsc/index.html

Stefan