discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] 1) browser for opennic sites welcome? 2) amount of opennic sites (appr.? for search engine)

Re: [opennic-discuss] 1) browser for opennic sites welcome? 2) amount of opennic sites (appr.? for search engine)

  • From: Jeff Taylor <shdwdrgn AT sourpuss.net>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] 1) browser for opennic sites welcome? 2) amount of opennic sites (appr.? for search engine)
  • Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2011 09:08:52 -0600

Hi there, and welcome. I'm the operator of grep.geek, the search engine that recently switched to mnogosearch. I do not have any sort of official list of the total number of OpenNic websites, only a list of all the domains that exist (which includes NewNations domains). That list currently has 7186 entries, but of course many of those domains are not attached to any active websites.

I am still waiting for mnogo to complete the first round of crawling, however it currently has about 1 million pages indexed, with another 1.8 million pages left to check. Again, this includes both OpenNic and NewNations domains.

I do NOT index the whole web. I am only interested in indexing pages which exist on OpenNic domains and our peers... however there are quite a few websites which only provide a mirror of existing ICANN-based websites. For example, there are a number of wikileaks mirrors, and I have also seen a mirror of wikipedia. I do include a *filter* option on my search page which attempts to restrict searches to within a certain group of pages, but that is based only on the TLD.

I certainly have no objections to having OpenNic sites listed in another search engine, and unless anyone else has an issue with it, I could provide a copy of the script I use to generate the list of domain names, to help you get started in indexing our sites.