discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] [LDAP] Registration site discussion

Re: [opennic-discuss] [LDAP] Registration site discussion

  • From: Stephan Jauernick <info AT stephan-jauernick.de>
  • To: <discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org>
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] [LDAP] Registration site discussion
  • Date: Sat, 05 May 2012 10:54:16 +0200

Am 03.05.2012 11:40, schrieb Julian De Marchi:
heya--

I would like to start a technical discussion on LDAP and a web app
that can create and manage users.

Nice!
As you know from previous discussions, a new website for OpenNIC was
being made. This stage of the OpenNIC revamp has now been completed.
However implementing it now would be very premature. The next step for
the revamp is one central place for auth. This is going to use LDAP.

What I'd like to discuss is a way to create a site which will:

- Create new OpenNIC members
- Let existing members manage their profile
- Provide an admin interface for admins to create and manage members

The site will also control other aspects of running OpenNIC. All
members will be able to select what m/l they'd like to belong too. DNS
operators will be able to control their nameservers, signup to server
monitoring and other such stuff.

I have already chosen perl for the language for this project. I know
what the web app should do, but I'd like to discuss ways to do it.
I've searched metacpan for hints on LDAP modules, but I really am
lost. So lets discuss technical ways to do this. What perl modules
would do the job? If possible I'd like to use starman + cataylst, but
am not afraid of fast-cgi for the job, so pure perl will work(not an
mvc).

I used catalst before, its a cool platform but sadly really heavy weight!
Nowadays i prefer Mojolicious as a platform, its small and more leightweight(from the same author as catalyst)!

As LDAP Module i had great success with Net::LDAP!

The main page should have fields for member registration which upon
validation will add the user to the LDAP DB. The management page will
show all the members details in text boxes with edit boxes next to
them(?) which will then allow updating of the field. The admin section
will have two parts. The first will have a list of all members, when
clicked upon takes the admin to what the member would see for editing
their profile. The second part would allow the manual creation of
members.

I look forward to your reply.

--julian

--------
You are a member of the OpenNIC Discuss list. You may unsubscribe by
emailing discuss-unsubscribe AT lists.opennicproject.org