discuss - [opennic-discuss] [LDAP] Registration site discussion

[opennic-discuss] [LDAP] Registration site discussion

  • From: Julian De Marchi <julian AT jdcomputers.com.au>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: [opennic-discuss] [LDAP] Registration site discussion
  • Date: Thu, 03 May 2012 19:40:03 +1000

heya--

I would like to start a technical discussion on LDAP and a web app that can create and manage users.

As you know from previous discussions, a new website for OpenNIC was being made. This stage of the OpenNIC revamp has now been completed. However implementing it now would be very premature. The next step for the revamp is one central place for auth. This is going to use LDAP.

What I'd like to discuss is a way to create a site which will:

- Create new OpenNIC members
- Let existing members manage their profile
- Provide an admin interface for admins to create and manage members

The site will also control other aspects of running OpenNIC. All members will be able to select what m/l they'd like to belong too. DNS operators will be able to control their nameservers, signup to server monitoring and other such stuff.

I have already chosen perl for the language for this project. I know what the web app should do, but I'd like to discuss ways to do it. I've searched metacpan for hints on LDAP modules, but I really am lost. So lets discuss technical ways to do this. What perl modules would do the job? If possible I'd like to use starman + cataylst, but am not afraid of fast-cgi for the job, so pure perl will work(not an mvc).

The main page should have fields for member registration which upon validation will add the user to the LDAP DB. The management page will show all the members details in text boxes with edit boxes next to them(?) which will then allow updating of the field. The admin section will have two parts. The first will have a list of all members, when clicked upon takes the admin to what the member would see for editing their profile. The second part would allow the manual creation of members.

I look forward to your reply.

--julian