discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] register.fur prevents visitor registration by default

Re: [opennic-discuss] register.fur prevents visitor registration by default

  • From: Peter Green <peter AT greenpete.co.uk>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] register.fur prevents visitor registration by default
  • Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2012 12:01:13 +0100

Alex, Julian,

I would ask that you don't try and sweep this matter away as if it were
nothing at all, in a way that simply suits you.
It may be in your opinion somthing that the subscribers to list must deal
with, but to me it is about respect and etiquette, creating a place of
respect and comfort for people to join and drive the OpenNIC project forward.

If indeed you do want to attract others to the project you need to appreciate
how they may feel.

What I found most distasteful was seeing a newcomer being blasted at the very
start of their experience with the group! Would it not serve OpenNIC's goals
better to be more tolerant of newcomers?

I'm also now a little concerned that Julian himself hasn't replied to my
point, but rather another lead member of the group. It feels like your
ganging up a little (that may sound a over the top, but for the want of a
better way of putting it...) to defend the establishment.

You ask for respect in your sixth paragraph, so do I! You also ask for people
not to be offended by words, I ask people not to be offensive.

Even if Jamyn had been out of line and not making valid points, I would still
ask people not to be so aggressive in their response, but in fact Jamyn
brought up good points.

You say OpenNIC will become great. I belive that is something achieved by
great leaders, one's who do not blast people in a very public mailing list
but show restraint and respect them selves, leading by example.

Don't get me wrong, I think people here are doing a great job and OpenNIC is
a wonderful project, I just suggest a more balanced and tolerant approach to
others would be nice and add value to the whole project.

On a mailing list, words are all we have. We don't see facial expression and
body language, we don't know a lot about the person communicating with us,
words are therefore extremely important and the choice of them more so.

Peter