discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] register.fur prevents visitor registration by default

Re: [opennic-discuss] register.fur prevents visitor registration by default

  • From: Jamyn Shanley <jshanley AT gmail.com>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] register.fur prevents visitor registration by default
  • Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2012 09:09:33 -0500

On Fri, Jun 1, 2012 at 6:47 AM, Quinn Wood <woodq11 AT gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm astonished at how long this conversation has gone on and how far
> it's strayed. A quick count shows me that it takes me twice as long to
> configure my machine to use OpenNIC than it does to determine (through
> a little common sense) that I trust the CA/certificate (in this case
> both) in question. As far as I see it, the issue has been addressed
> and the continued arguments are being made in principal- something
> I've been guilty of in the past, and trust me, hasn't made me friends.

I'll say this, then, and leave it at that.

I raised technical and usability issues as I came across them. I don't
track the mailing list, so my apologies if people have had bad
experiences in the past, but that has nothing to do with me. What I
didn't expect in response was personal attacks directed at me. I
didn't expect to be sworn at, nor did I feel like I said or did
anything offensive enough to warrant it. If the shoe was on the other
foot, and I was swearing at the project founders and telling them they
were simply generating noise, I highly doubt it would have been
accepted as "just words." The response from Julian was disrespectful,
simple as that. I'm over it, but I disagree that it was just "words".
It was unprofessional for the project lead to respond in such a way.
Granted, others do the same (Theo is one example) but it doesn't make
it the right way to handle situations.