discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] Policy proposal for removal of non-responding T2 servers

Re: [opennic-discuss] Policy proposal for removal of non-responding T2 servers

  • From: Jeff Taylor <shdwdrgn AT sourpuss.net>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] Policy proposal for removal of non-responding T2 servers
  • Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2012 10:52:30 -0600

While finishing up the code, I decided that what makes the most sense is
to take a server offline based on a value of <days>, but then to bring
it back online again based on a value of <hours>. The offline status is
really just an extension of the temp-outage status, but this step gets a
server removed from the public listings. I certainly don't what this
status to be viewed as a 'punishment' to the admins involved, rather it
should be considered a notice to the users that there is an extended
problem occurring.

It is interesting that between both replies so far, you have both
suggested the opposite extremes for bringing a server back into the
pool. My feelings on this is that since the code will automate the
process, we can keep the time fairly short, however the server was
marked offline for a reason, so we want to make sure it is running
smoothly for a long enough period that we can be sure it is stable
again. For this reason, I think 48 hours would be a reasonable period.
We should probably get some more opinions on this matter.

We all seem to be in agreement that 7 days is a good length of time to
wait for issues to be resolved before marking a server offline, so I'll
stick with that value while moving forward.