discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] Policy proposal for removal of non-responding T2 servers

Re: [opennic-discuss] Policy proposal for removal of non-responding T2 servers

  • From: sjeap <sjeap AT lavabit.com>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] Policy proposal for removal of non-responding T2 servers
  • Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2012 22:55:29 +0200

Hello,

This isn't a Windows problem only, I think, if you want to create a
process as described, you have to use a separate program with Linux, Mac
OS X or Android, too. Better than a Windows-only service, I assume.
There are some efforts to create such tools (also for OpenNIC), but I
currently don't remember the names. It's something more advanced than
those under http://wiki.opennicproject.org/HomePage#hn_DNS_Wizards,
needs a search through the mail archive.

However, I would agree on a somewhat shorter period, if everyone would
use only ONE DNS server. But actually one uses at least two or more DNS
servers (at different regions), so the average user would recognize an
outage of one DNS server not until a longer period. Therefore this
depends on what the change of periods is for. The public listings are
primarily for the average users. But generally, the more precise, the
better, it doesn't hurt.

Regards sjeap