discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] b) news about second domain name authority AND launch of .berlin domains and sites including registration of .berlin a) Do we say anything to Mr Dotcom?

Re: [opennic-discuss] b) news about second domain name authority AND launch of .berlin domains and sites including registration of .berlin a) Do we say anything to Mr Dotcom?

  • From: Aaron Angel <thatoneguy AT aaronjangel.us>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] b) news about second domain name authority AND launch of .berlin domains and sites including registration of .berlin a) Do we say anything to Mr Dotcom?
  • Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2012 07:48:28 -0500

On Thu, Nov 8, 2012 at 1:13 AM, JP Blankert (Thuis PC) <jpblankert AT zonnet.nl> wrote:
Read http://altrootfoundation.org, and especially the letter to Icann: http://altrootfoundation.org/docs/icann%20altrootfoundation%205%20nov%202012.pdf

(Please do not take the slight criticism towards 'USA' personally).

I fail to see how anyone would take your slight criticism of my country seriously.  I laughed at "American Ministry of Commerce."  There is no such thing.  You seem to have a fundamental misunderstanding of how my country works.  Normally, this would be fine; I don't have a fundamental understanding of how many other countries work; but then, I don't go wielding my lack of knowledge in an apology, either.

You also have a fundamental misunderstanding of how ICANN was formed and of their purpose.  You were right about one thing:  No one asked the United States to police the Internet.  But that's not the point; you omit the fact that the United States asked ICANN to privatize the management of assigned names and numbers it formerly handled (since, you know, we started the thing).  ICANN doesn't police the Internet; it oversees critical infrastructure.  Perhaps you should hit the history books before you fire off an impersonal "Dear ICANN" letter riddled with factual errors and misplaced criticism.