discuss - [opennic-discuss] SSH tunneled DNS access & SSH/SSL muxing

[opennic-discuss] SSH tunneled DNS access & SSH/SSL muxing

  • From: "Panesar, Amrit" <apanesar AT 4195tech.com>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: [opennic-discuss] SSH tunneled DNS access & SSH/SSL muxing
  • Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2012 09:55:41 -0800

I have come across a theory for universal, direct DNS especially for
those behind company or country bound firewalls.

I have recently come across SSHTTP
(https://github.com/stealth/sshttp). This program multiplexes HTTP SSL
with SSH because of banners, (there is a more in-depth explanation on
the project page). This would allow an SSH daemon to run on the same
port as HTTP-SSL, and essentially 'trick' level 7 content filters that
establish a connection to the website to ensure it passes content
validation, else it resets the connection. (eg:
http://i.imgur.com/bQuk3.png & http://i.imgur.com/97LWK.png). What we
are to do is mux a clean SSL site with SSH; thus, when the firewall
goes to probe the site, it returns a valid site and we will also be
able to SSH. With the help of your favorite ssh client, we can tunnel
your DNS packets over SSH on port 443 and be able to evade all
firewalls that stand in the way thus giving everyone access to
OpenNIC. We can even take it a step further and add a SSH
client-helper to a web browser (like chromium/canary) to further
integrate the experience.

What are you thoughts on this?

Also I find this comedic, http://i.imgur.com/BSZgI.png