discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] I am planning to start my own TLD! please help!

Re: [opennic-discuss] I am planning to start my own TLD! please help!

  • From: Neico <admin AT neic0.de>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] I am planning to start my own TLD! please help!
  • Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2013 14:24:13 +0100

It's not about who can access it, it's about which DNS Server they have configured, you need to have a Connection to one of the OpenNIC DNS Servers in order to resolve these Domains.
As Lenny said, not everyone has them setup since OpenNIC is an alternative to the Default DNS System which also happens to support the default one.

See it like that: Normally you enter "example.com" into your browser, what happens now is that your Computer asks the DNS Server he has configured what the IP of that Domain is, that DNS Server says now that DNS Server ns1.example.com has the responsibility over this domain.
Here comes the important part: that DNS Server your Computer asks about it does ask the so called Root DNS Servers which DNS Server is responsible for example.com which then tell that Server that it's ns1.example.com.
Now your Computer gets that information and asks said DNS Server, that one now tells your computer the IP it has to connect to which is now able to load the Website from there.

What happens now if you enter "example.glue" into your Browser? Right, since the Root DNS Servers have no TLD entry for .glue they'll respond that it doesn't exist.
What OpenNIC does is acting as said Root DNS Server and adding another Layer that can be queried for TLD's.

If you use and OpenNIC DNS Server and enter "example.glue" into your Browser you'll get a response from one of the OpenNIC DNS Server's responsible for .glue, the difference is that OpenNIC falls back to the Default DNS Root Servers if the TLD (like .med) don't exist, if those don't have such an entry too then it'll end with the same result as if you wouldn't have OpenNIC in the first place.

I hope this explains it clearly, I feel like there's a need for a Graph to illustrate what I just said, because as always: A Picture says more then 1000 words (which in my case would cover around 2/3 of what I just wrote)
I know there's a Video on the website that explains it but you could compress all that stuff into a single without OpenNIC / with OpenNIC Graph where it illustrates the path from a domain name up to the Website.

- Neico