discuss - RE: [opennic-discuss] Fwd: Fwd: ICANN News Alert -- Security Studies on the Use of Non-Delegated TLDs, and Dotless Names

RE: [opennic-discuss] Fwd: Fwd: ICANN News Alert -- Security Studies on the Use of Non-Delegated TLDs, and Dotless Names

  • From: "John Kozlowski \(ShofarDomain.com\)" <John.Kozlowski AT ShofarDomain.com>
  • To: <discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org>
  • Subject: RE: [opennic-discuss] Fwd: Fwd: ICANN News Alert -- Security Studies on the Use of Non-Delegated TLDs, and Dotless Names
  • Date: Wed, 29 May 2013 08:50:11 -0400

Simply put ‘www.opennicproject.org.' is not while “org.” or the TLD alone is.

The issue is inconsistences in resolving the TLD alone.  The example they give is using the TLD directly for an email such as “joe@org”.  While some may resolve this fine, others will reject it due to the missing dot.

The term dotless is confusing and I can’t help think that that is on purpose.  It is simply the TLD.