discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] DRM in HTML5

Re: [opennic-discuss] DRM in HTML5

  • From: Guillaume Parent <gparent AT gparent.org>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] DRM in HTML5
  • Date: Thu, 30 May 2013 19:22:32 -0400

Which is exactly why DRM is completely useless, there are already laws for copyright infringement and it has been proven time and time that it doesn't significantly deter piracy or secure profits.

I can't believe we're having a discussion on whether DRM is good or not on a mailing list for OpenNIC. You guys should know pretty well why it's a retarded idea to have a rights restriction scheme in what is supposed to be an open standard.

On May 30, 2013 7:15 PM, "staticsafe" <me AT staticsafe.ca> wrote:
On Thu, May 30, 2013 at 06:59:20PM -0400, Daniel Quintiliani wrote:
> On 05/30/2013 06:40 PM, Quinn Wood wrote:
> > On Thu, May 30, 2013 at 4:57 PM, Daniel Quintiliani <danq AT runbox.com> wrote:
> >> If you use a CMS (like Wordpress, which I use), you're forced into it.
> >> Unless you want to code up your own XHTML by hand...
> >>
> > A CMS has nothing to do with HTML. CMS selling points are everything
> > that happens server-side in some kind of database-driven
> > httpd-interfacing language.
> >

> The pages and documents generated by Wordpress are HTML5.
> If a copyright-infringing or anti-government YouTube video goes on an
> HTML5 blog, the powers-that-be can just make every Web site all over the
> world refuse to load it.
>
> --
>
> -Dan Q

Huh, what? If I have a copyright infringing video up, it can be brought
down under applicable copyright laws, HTML5 or not.
--
staticsafe
Please don't top post - http://goo.gl/YrmAb