discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] Https login

Re: [opennic-discuss] Https login

  • From: Coyo <coyo AT darkdna.net>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] Https login
  • Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2013 22:38:23 -0600

Yeah, it's a horrendous situation. All too many engineers don't see or comprehend the threat, and I find that a sad and somewhat detestable thing. I understand that many engineers can't comprehend a threat that they participate in, and I can understand that, but most of those engineers don't call whether to seize a domain or to raid a data center. They can't comprehend what that does to an otherwise free and worthwhile society, much less to an already fundamentally flawed one.

Although in theory, OpenPGP can be used for not only automated server-to-server communications, but serverless communications with the reliability, reachability, security, privacy and convenience for which servers are used at all.

Although the Internet was originally designed with end-to-end connectivity with no inherent distinction between clients and servers in terms of centralized data centers and the inability to host servers at home if you wanted to do so, the reality is that data centers are king, and NAT firewalls restrict everything we say and do online, and expose our private information in unexpected and insidious ways.

I have personally been experimenting with NAT-centric P2P designs that not only function in multiple layers of synchronous or bidirectional PNAT firewalls, but thrive in it, abandoning the original design and architecture of the Internet as a whole in favor of security, privacy and functionality.

It is not ready to be widely exposed, much less used, but the important part is to prove the concept.