discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] Multiple OpenNIC domains available

Re: [opennic-discuss] Multiple OpenNIC domains available

  • From: Calum McAlinden <calum AT mcalinden.me.uk>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] Multiple OpenNIC domains available
  • Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2014 20:26:33 +0000

On 28 October 2014 18:41, Jeff Taylor <shdwdrgn AT sourpuss.net> wrote:
> I'm not sure if everyone is aware of this, but we have several domain names
> pointing at the OpenNIC homepage... opennicproject.org (of course),
> opennicproject.com, and opennic.us.
>
> Does anyone have ideas on ways to better use the alternate domain names? I
> could see the possibility of language-specific pages if other domains were
> registered and someone wanted to put in the work to maintain them. Any
> other suggestions?

It would probably be a good idea to have all the domains redirect to
opennicproject.com, just to keep the search engines happy. Also don't
forget opennic.glue - it'd be nice to have some content there to start
at when users have OpenNIC configured.

Having separate sites for translations and localised content has the
potential to end up in a disorganised mess in my opinion; I'd prefer
to see a more integrated website and wiki, with the out-of-date
content (mainly DNS setting guides) replaced by links to the relevant
pages on the wiki.

Site-wide SSL would be a welcomed addition, although it seems your
already getting enough pressure in that area :) (happy to give you a
hand if you want, although my Apache skills are limited)

--
Calum McAlinden
https://www.mcalinden.me.uk