discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] No closest OpenNIC IPs

Re: [opennic-discuss] No closest OpenNIC IPs

  • From: Alejandro Bonet <albogoal AT gmail.com>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] No closest OpenNIC IPs
  • Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2015 10:17:55 +0100

Hi:

I dont know how opennic calculates the "closest dns server to a given
ip address".
I suppose it is based on "server declared location"...

I have some studies about "conectivity of the whole internet", based
on statistics about random traceroutes...

If you run a traceroute to a random IP from your computer, the result
is a "route" from your IP to this random destination IP.

Each line of this report has an "intermediate IP" and some measurement
of its response times...

It is evident that two consecutive lines of this report "have a direct
connection between both of them".

If you collect a lot of these "connections" (made with a lot of random
destination traceroutes) and group them by the most significant bytes
of the "connection" adresses, you have "a map of the whole internet
conectivity". As more and more "connections", more fine tuned is your
map...

This could be useful to many things.

One of them is "to calculate the nearest public DNS server given a
client IP address"

(Here, of course, "the nearest" is "the one with less jumps from the
client IP"...)

Alejandro Bonet
md.es.opennic

PD: I'm Spaniard. We also invented "The Guitar"...

Es siempre bueno aprender español !!!

(And another beautiful languages...)

Dont forget to mind us !!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfGggAGITwg