discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] For immediate action: Remove ns1.md.es and ns2.md.es

Re: [opennic-discuss] For immediate action: Remove ns1.md.es and ns2.md.es

  • From: Jeff Taylor <shdwdrgn AT sourpuss.net>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] For immediate action: Remove ns1.md.es and ns2.md.es
  • Date: Sun, 07 Jun 2015 02:30:50 -0600
  • Dmarc-filter: OpenDMARC Filter v1.3.0 mx1.sourpuss.net 7A3522D341

I actually have some new code in the works which provides a LOT more testing of the various servers, including making sure that they are maintaining reasonably recent versions of all zones.  There is a sample of the data pulled that you can view at http://report.opennicproject.org/srvtest/

Clicking on server names and various tests opens up deeper levels of information.  I tried to make this version provide as much information as possible, so for example if it were used to test a new server you could see specifically what tests are failing and what answers were expected.  The test process itself works, but to make it useful I still have to write code to add this information to the database and generate various support files, and I simply haven't had a chance to work on that.

The new code also makes it very easy to add new tests as needed, without having to re-code the whole thing, so we can keep up with any new problems as they develop.  And best of all, the coding allows this test to run in 1/5 of the time as the previous test, with lower CPU usage, so it's a huge difference all around.

We already have procedures in place to automatically fail out servers that don't pass the current testing, so we just have to apply that to the new code and situations like this will automatically resolve themselves.  We just simply won't allow servers to be listed that cannot pass the full set of tests.