discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] .o TLD Proposal

Re: [opennic-discuss] .o TLD Proposal

  • From: Maiyannah Bishop <maiyannah.bishop AT postactiv.com>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] .o TLD Proposal
  • Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2016 22:45:52 -0500
  • Archived-at: <https://lists.opennicproject.org/sympa/arcsearch_id/discuss/2016-11/582FCAF0.8050709%40postactiv.com>

Is there a OpenNIC TLD that currently charges for registration?  None comes to mind, but I'm not at a machine on OpenNIC DNS to check.  I certainly didn't pay for my .indy name.

This is just my personal opinion, but I am okay with an operator collecting donations to defray costs, I would be less okay with knowing my domain could end up being something that costs me down the line.  That seems rather bait and switch to me (get a bunch of people in with free domains, oh hey, it's paid now if you want to keep them!)  And whether the reasons for the costs are benign or not (and I don't doubt you when you say you want it as a just-in-case policy, by the way) - a lot of people probably would not extend you the benefit of that doubt, given previous stunts ICANN has pulled.

I'd actually rather it just be paid up front than "maybe paid in some circumstance outside of my own personal control" - though I'm not sure how the operators of OpenNIC feel about this, I'm just a user at the present time :)

(Given some though to hosting a DNS server, but I would have to familiarize myself with OpenNIC's own administrative policies first, as an aside)

Seeing whereas I don't like offering criticism like that without offering some sort of solution therefore, I think a reasonable compromise might be to say that particularly high-use domains may find themselves levied with fees?  If you were to turn to charging domain holders out of infrastructure needs, it seems reasonable to my mind that the people to pay up in this case would be the ones placing the most demand on the infrastructure.  And that would keep the spirit of it being "just in case of emergency"
-mb