discuss - [opennic-discuss] Some general updates about OpenNic

[opennic-discuss] Some general updates about OpenNic

  • From: Jeff Taylor <shdwdrgn AT sourpuss.net>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: [opennic-discuss] Some general updates about OpenNic
  • Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2016 15:22:18 -0700
  • Dmarc-filter: OpenDMARC Filter v1.3.0 mx4.sourpuss.net 503972D360

Despite the confusion about the vote, it does seem to have followed the stated policies. Also I was not able to find any objections to the TLD proposal, so it seems the vote passed unanimously. My only (personal) objection would be that such a short vote period was called during a major US holiday when many people weren't paying attention, but that would be a different discussion of updating and clarifying the rules.

As it stands, the records have been updated to support the .o zone, and NS11 has been added to manage it.

Some work has been done this week on the opennic.glue zone, finalizing its home with LDAP and setting up the automation to push out updates. This change has also caused a roll-back in the serial for the file. The old file began with "2016", the new one begins with just "16". Please check to make sure you have the right file and manually force updates as needed.

In other news, we have lost a number of Tier2 servers recently, but we have also gained some anycast servers (marked as 'any' in the various lists). There are still issues with DNSSEC support, but the root zone and a number of TLDs are supporting it now. I don't believe we have any support for DNSSEC records at the domain level yet. There has also been a lot of recent talk on IRC regarding updating the website and wiki contents -- if you want to get involved, jump in the chat and find out where you can help!

  • [opennic-discuss] Some general updates about OpenNic, Jeff Taylor, 11/30/2016