discuss - Re[2]: [opennic-discuss] OpenNIC Domains Registration Fee - Liberland domains .LL

Re[2]: [opennic-discuss] OpenNIC Domains Registration Fee - Liberland domains .LL

  • From: spaesani AT mail.com
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org <discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org>
  • Subject: Re[2]: [opennic-discuss] OpenNIC Domains Registration Fee - Liberland domains .LL
  • Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2016 14:09:42 +0300

Nadia,
I receive a pittance and camped outdoors for four years straight, lived at missions and stayed only overnight for months on end
and I pay for my domains,  just launched a vps for the t2 and just registered 2 more domains to help move access to opennic along.
I have two busted up kness, a serious back issue and have been in  pain pretty much every day for over 10 years.
Now, I m not adverse to providing someone who absolutely can not afford a 5$ a year registration but you'll have a heck of a time convincing me you can't afford it or can't find some one in your local community to help you out.
Especially if you are younger and healthier than me.

Having said that, I'm still looking for a single domain registrar operation cost assessment.
If you care to , regardless of your experience, you can draw one up on your spare time as a contribution here.
sp

--
Sent from myMail app for Android

Friday, 09 December 2016, 06:33PM -05:00 from an0n1 AT riseup.net:

I realize I'm new here, but if I may, I'd like to add to this conversation
as it's an important one to me. Picture this scenario: someone who scrapes
by on "Social Security" of whatever form ones country provides - a
pittance for those residing in the United States. They'd be forced to
quite literally give up using OpenNIC DNS or, e.g. miss (n) meals, not pay
rent on time, etc. So, as one living in the US who receives Social
Security Disabilty "payments", which are incredibly low as I'd stopped,
i.e. was no longer able to do so, "paying in to the system" via taxes
(from a retail shop I both owned & operated) at an early age, my own
"monthly reward" from the system is lower than most here would be able to
imagine. If this is too much infornsuon for I apologize, but I felt it
absolutely necessary to give a real world scenario, one out of many others
in similar situations who are unable to share their own stories for lack
of OpenNIC registration. Sincerely, Nadia.

kevin wrote:
> Perhaps we're losing scope of OpenNIC vs any other independent that
wants to operate as a TLD.
> Continuing to use .LL as the basis. If Libreland wants to create a TLD,
then they can simply do that. They do not need OpenNIC. The only thing
that OpenNIC (or ICANN) provides, is incorporation into a larger user
pool. But if that isn't functional, then anyone who wants to access .ll
would use Libreland DNS servers.
> Nothing should change with OpenNIC as OpenNIC's mandate remains the
same. Anything additional to that is not the scope of OpenNIC.
> Kevin
> On Fri, 2016-12-09 at 14:26 -0600, Jonah Aragon wrote:
>> I agree, I personally wouldn't start charging for my domains. I'm just
saying people's expectations =/= OpenNIC policy, and we should allow
operators that option if they so choose.
>> Jonah
>> On Dec 9, 2016 2:19 PM, "Maiyannah Bishop"
>> <maiyannah.bishop AT postactiv.com> wrote:
>> Well, it's a service offered by other TLDs for free, so people
would expect a new OpenNIC TLD to be similar, whereas if you're
offering something new that's paid, there would be no
expectation.
>> -mb
>> On 2016-12-09 15:16, Jonah Aragon wrote:
>> > I agree, although I fail to see how domain registration isn't
an added service, as the primary service provided for free is
DNS resolution, not domain registrations.