discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] Introduction - and a couple of questions

Re: [opennic-discuss] Introduction - and a couple of questions

  • From: Jonah Aragon <jonaharagon AT gmail.com>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] Introduction - and a couple of questions
  • Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2016 17:36:58 +0000

Hi JC, hopefully the following provides some insight into how we work :)

On Fri, Dec 16, 2016 at 10:41 AM <jc AT motorsports-x.com> wrote:
as for my questions.  Just a couple of basic ones about your process..  Our
hardware that we are building will also be based on a network of communication
and pass through servers.  these servers are the number 2 most critical aspect
of our plans.  Having a TLD extension to match our network would be absolutely
wonderful, as we could then issues domain names to each user.  I cant tell you
how far this would go to helping us.  So I'm curious what your process looks
like?  I saw that its a community based decision making process,   so I really
would like to understand what you guys are looking for when someone comes to
you for a new extension.

The process is somewhat simple on a technical level. You need a Tier 1 DNS server setup as the authority for your TLD, a registration process, some email addresses setup, and a charter written. The charter should include exactly what you plan to do with your TLD, how registration/renewals/terminations work, abuse guidelines, etc. You can look at the one I wrote for .o here, as an example: https://www.moderntld.com/about/charter/