discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] New TLD .RUS

Re: [opennic-discuss] New TLD .RUS

  • From: 6161 <6161 AT protonmail.ch>
  • To: "discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org" <discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org>
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] New TLD .RUS
  • Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2017 18:27:16 -0400
  • Feedback-id: he2nAMBGiaOUM50ZvIW1bEQ3xjm-VoobzWmd0aC3cHVmlzyZK2XlPb1Xj4QHfR1p25ptyP_phOhvZj6wg0vRrA==:Ext:ProtonMail

I'm not the one who proposed .rus, but I have some pro-arguments.

First of all, we have .oz. The reason .oz was implemented was because you had to give your address to register a .au domain at ICANN. If you want to have a .ru domain at ICANN, you have to give your address as well. Furthermore, it looks that you don't have to give an address for a .au anymore. This alone is enough reason for me to vote yes, since the conclusion of voting no would be to remove .oz.

But I have more.

Apparently the .oz operator is Mexican, not Australian. The .rus proposer actually is Russian, speaks Russian and seems to be the kind of person who will promote his project to his friends until they will join because otherwise he will continue to ask him. This looks like a good opportunity for OpenNIC not only to grow, but to grow outside of the English-speaking world. Content, people, content!

Let us take a moment to remember why OpenNIC exists. If you go to OpenNIC.org you will be asked "Concerned about censorship?" Which country do you associate more with censorship, Australia or Russia? Hint: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Censorship_of_Wikipedia#Russia

I am not Russian, but because of this I assume that Russians have more experience with changing their local DNS settings. I live in a NATO country, and here most people would not consider changing their settings because nobody is concerned about censorship. I know there are more ways to censor than by DNS, but if they use the DNS method, OpenNIC will be great to circumvent this method.

I agree that parts of the charter could be worded better, but I think the .rus domain is a very good idea.