discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] New TLD .RUS

Re: [opennic-discuss] New TLD .RUS

  • From: Christopher <weblionx AT gmail.com>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] New TLD .RUS
  • Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2017 20:01:52 -0400

On Wed, Sep 27, 2017 at 6:27 PM, 6161 <6161 AT protonmail.ch> wrote:
[...]
> Let us take a moment to remember why OpenNIC exists. If you go to
> OpenNIC.org you will be asked "Concerned about censorship?" Which country do
> you associate more with censorship, Australia or Russia? Hint:
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Censorship_of_Wikipedia#Russia

I agree on this front, and have considered the censorship aspect
before, but Dmitry is the one proposing and he has yet to provide a
convincing argument himself, instead just calling OpenNIC afraid.
That's right out of the bullying handbook, re. "What are you,
chicken?". Now, I assume that's not the intention, and like I've said
I'm not currently against the TLD, but I'm not exactly for it either
with what Dmitry has put forth. It may be worth just putting it to a
vote next week and seeing how people feel, unless Dmitry has something
new to add other than just reusing stale idioms and saying we're
afraid.