discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] [DISCUSSION] Mailing List Voting and Formatting Policies

Re: [opennic-discuss] [DISCUSSION] Mailing List Voting and Formatting Policies

  • From: "Daniel Quintiliani" <danq AT runbox.com>
  • To: "discuss" <discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org>
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] [DISCUSSION] Mailing List Voting and Formatting Policies
  • Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2017 15:45:30 -0400 (EDT)

For those who weren't there, we were discussing on IRC an old vote we
supposedly made years ago (probably before I discovered it through
Prism-Break) to make OpenNIC a federally registered nonprofit, and the vote
passed.

After I told them about a nonprofit I was involved with for years and briefly
on the board of, which suffered a hostile takeover by a faction well
connected to local politicians, I became even more suspicious, fearing that
our votes wouldn't count due to the donors making the decisions.

But I was surprised to find out that not only was everyone unfamiliar with
words like "itemized deductions", but they never heard of the term "501(c)3"
since many were not familiar with US law. I told them this would be explained
by their accountant and attorney.

They then told me that the nonprofit may not be based in the US, and may not
require a charter and bylaws and keeping of years of records like a US
federally registered nonprofit does, which I thought this discussion was a
charter and bylaws, and then a politician shows up and calls for a chairman.
Why shouldn't I smell a rat?

Note also that if a nonprofit was to be federally registered in the US and in
other countries simultaneously, we'd need a really expensive attorney to make
sure the laws work everywhere. Plus the idea of having a nonprofit without a
charter and bylaws, if it is even approved for tax-deductible status by any
government, might raise suspicion and call for an eventual audit (and
possibly revoking tax-deductible status) don't you think?

Jonah said this was not intended to be a full charter. Keep all this in mind
if you want to make it one.

--

-Dan Q