discuss - [opennic-discuss] Random commentary [WAS: Re: [VOTE] Clarification of voting rules]

[opennic-discuss] Random commentary [WAS: Re: [VOTE] Clarification of voting rules]

  • From: Philipp Schafft <lion AT lion.leolix.org>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: [opennic-discuss] Random commentary [WAS: Re: [VOTE] Clarification of voting rules]
  • Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2018 17:00:24 +0000

Good afternoon,

On Thu, 2018-08-16 at 17:47 +0100, Al Beano wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thanks for your input.

Thank you. I value your request for voting very much. Yet for the given
reasons I hope that it will not pass so we can write a better one. That
being my opinion. Let's see what the members vote!

> I'm equating abstentions and spoiled ballots here - my idea is that
> people can abstain by writing "abstain", they can abstain by writing
> their favourite word in their native language - they can abstain by
> writing anything other than a yes/no vote.

Yes. And I personally feel that this is the wrong way. To me (this is
how my dictionary defines it) abstentions include every member not
replying to the voting thread at all (passive act). Which is very
different from sending a spoiled vote (active act).

> By number 5, I mean that, for example, in a vote with 2 yes votes, 1 no
> vote and 100 spoiled ballots, the motion would pass. The spoiled ballots
> *must* be counted but they do not affect the result.

Yes. This is how I understood it. Thank you for making it perfectly
clear for everybody -- just in case --.

My point here is that if 100 people compared to 3 people feel that the
voting itself is a problem, e.g. none of the options is valid, that
should keep the status quo. See the above, spoiling votes is an active
act. so they should be included in the outcome. While abstentions
clearly should not.

> I sent an archive link to my [PROPOSAL] thread in my initial email.

Ok. Thank you very much.

> Apologies that I was very slightly late sending the email - I am hereby
> extending the time limit of this vote by one minute and seven seconds in
> order to comply with the seven-day rule. I hope that nobody objects to
> this - I don't think the rules specify whether I can/cannot do this but
> I am doing my best to work in good faith and make this fair.

This sounds like a solution that is perfectly fine for OpenNIC. I'm very
happy with that.

With best regards,

Philipp.
(Rah of PH2)