discuss - [opennic-discuss] Blending / merging colliding TLDs

[opennic-discuss] Blending / merging colliding TLDs

  • From: kevin <krattai AT gmail.com>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: [opennic-discuss] Blending / merging colliding TLDs
  • Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2018 07:58:10 -0500

I can't remember if this has been discussed at some point in time.

I'm still a little pissed that we gave up .free to ICANN as though
ICANN is theĀ Eminent domain gate keeper, though most concede it is.

While there are many creative ways to name a TLD to be unique and still
hold meaning, I'm sure there will be many times where a popular term
may become a TLD on some DNS server and there is a possibility that
domains may collide in peering arrangements.

I have some ideas about how to deal (automagically) with colliding
domains by way of some blending or merging methodology (such as a
repository of servers handling the TLD and concatenating a list of pre-
existing domains on that TLD), but would like to hear if anyone else
has considered this in the past and their method of resolving such a
possibility.

Cheers,

Kevin