discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] Blending / merging colliding TLDs

Re: [opennic-discuss] Blending / merging colliding TLDs

  • From: "Daniel Quintiliani" <danq AT runbox.com>
  • To: "discuss" <discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org>
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] Blending / merging colliding TLDs
  • Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2018 16:13:32 -0400 (EDT)

This was discussed over the .ing domain we used to have, some of us suggested
to contact the EFF, but the TLD maintainer just shut it down because he
didn't care.

I seem to remember a while ago someone trying to fork OpenNIC, can't remember
who or what name, but the TLD would be anything on request, without the TLD
needing to exist or have a charter (e.g. abcdefg.hijklmn could be registered,
but .hijklmn would not need to exist). I remember it was supposed to override
the gTLDs, but I'm not sure if people were able to "register" "google.com"
for the other users. There were only a few servers, and then it disappeared
after a short time.

--

-Dan Q