discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] Working DNS registration?

  • From: Max Resing <contact AT maxresing.de>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] Working DNS registration?
  • Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2024 12:23:26 +0200

Not sure if I understand you correctly, but what you usually do is to
configure the NS records with the FQDN of the hostname, and then you
add the glue records as A & AAAA records. An exmaple:

```
@ NS ns1.example.com 86400
@ NS ns2.example.com 86400

ns1 A 127.0.0.1 86400
ns2 A 127.0.0.1 86400
```

Did you try that? Cause then `libre.` will have both the NS record and
the A/AAAA record for the nameservers. And afterwards, all requests
will be forwarded to your nameserver.

What you describe with using a CNAME value as the NS record is
prohibited by RFC2181:

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc2181#section-10.3

Then again: if you configure your records properly, you first will have
a retention period of 7 days, then 30 days, and then it stays up for a
year. But I cannot find any official documentation on this on the wiki.
Would help to have a page on the wiki to point out the exact policies.

Cheers,
Max