discuss - [opennic-discuss] Domains disabled for malware

  • From: Jeff Taylor <shdwdrgn AT sourpuss.net>
  • To: Discuss <discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org>
  • Subject: [opennic-discuss] Domains disabled for malware
  • Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2024 17:46:27 -0600

I was alerted this week to a number of opennic domains which have been spreading malware.  This isn't the first time this has occurred but most of the previous troubles were from when we peered with the .bit TLD.

After checking a number of IP addresses these domains were being pointed at (and finding at least a couple sources that agreed on the status of those addresses) I decided to block those domains.  For now that means I took over ownership and disabled each of them, so they can't be re-registered and used again.  I don't want to specifically list each domain because they all have very spiteful names referring to racial slurs and child porn, but I saved copies of each of the original records.  There are currently 86 disabled domains..

There are also a handful of registered accounts that go with these domains names.  I think it would probably be a good idea to just disable everything associated with those users but I haven't gotten that far yet.

Anyway, I thought I should let the community know what's going on, and alert other TLD admins that this is happening.  We haven't been paying much attention to Opennic for awhile now, and this is what happens.

  • [opennic-discuss] Domains disabled for malware, Jeff Taylor, 06/28/2024